2023 Forests of New Hampshire Teacher Tours
A 4-day tour of the NH forests and mills
July 18, 1:00 pm - July 21, 11:00 am
Tall Timbers Lodge 609 Beach Rd.Pittsburg, NH 03592
Highlights OF THE NH Forest Teacher Tours
- Changes in forestry and changes in education – Discover and discuss them in the New Hampshire woods.
- Tours combine math, science, technology, language arts and social studies with current information about forest practices, up-to-date technology, and research into new products. Project Learning Tree’s (PLT) nationally acclaimed pre-K through high school environmental education curriculum is the framework for learning more about the importance of New Hampshire’s forests.
- A PLT facilitator will accompany each tour. Participate in lively discussions in the field, on the bus and over meals.
- Participants will complete a Project Learning Tree workshop that includes training in curriculum materials with links to the STEM and the NGSS. Many additional materials about New Hampshire forests will be made available.
- Each participant will be certified as a Project Learning Tree teacher and be eligible for certification of 30 contact hours.
- NHTOA will cover all but $150 of tour-related expenses, including overnight accommodations, air-conditioned motor coach, and meals.
WHEN YOU PARTICIPATE IN OUR TOUR YOU CAN LOOK FORWARD TO ...
- Participants can look forward to connecting with expert natural resource professionals, networking, and spending time in New Hampshire forests.
- Experience rustic,charming, shared accommodations in beautiful lakeside cabins.
- All meals are provided.
Our tour will be based at the Tall Timbers Lodge on Back Lake in Pittsburg, NH, and will focus on long-term sustainable management of New Hampshire forests. We will visit nearby logging operations, and sawmills, and will have opportunities to discuss field operations and multiple use management considerations with foresters, wildlife biologists, and other natural resource professionals.
“This was a fantastic week! The activities and setting were amazing!” “The sawmill was so cool!” Loved watching them make a tree into boards. I've been blown away all week!" “Carbon storage and sequestration is something we can do! The most successful forests are the ones that are the most diverse.” “This was the best PD I’ve ever been a part of. I feel like you thought of everything! “I learned a clearcut can be a positive thing.” “I keep telling anyone who will listen about the tour.”